Web Community Manager for Public Library of Science
The Public Library of Science (PLoS) is a mission driven non-profit
headquartered in San Francisco. It is committed to making the world's
scientific and medical literature a freely available public resource.
PLoS publishes peer-reviewed, open-access scientific and medical
journals that include original research as well as feature articles.
Everything PLoS publishes is freely available to be read, downloaded,
copied, and distributed.
PLoS has a team of around 80, comprising editors, scientists,
technologists, and production staff. Our work environment is
team-oriented and rich in innovative ideas. PLoS' distinguished board of
directors is led by a Nobel Prize winner in Medicine. Since 2003, we
have launched several prominent scientific journals of worldwide impact.
PLoS Hubs will be a community managed platform that facilitates the
aggregation of research papers, data and analysis tools, and other
content. The product is still in the early stages of development with a
pilot to be launched Q3 of this year. The PLoS Hubs Community Manager
will be expected to help establish the best way to build community among
scientists and develop community guidelines that best meet the needs of
both PLoS and the users.
The PLoS Hubs Community Manager is part of the PLoS Product
Management team and is responsible for the oversight and community
development aspects of the Hubs, and is the primary PLoS contact for the
editors and users of the Hubs. The Community Manager works with user
communities to help set up, maintain, and engage their members. The
Community Manager will work across all Hubs on the Platform.
- Supporting the Hub members, to ensure that the Hub fulfills the
needs of their community as far as possible. This entails working with
Hubs Curators, Steering Committees and Hubs members.
- Encouraging participation by the Hubs members, and providing
- Identifying and analyzing issues, patterns and trends in member
- Representing PLoS across and within the various Hubs.
- Exploring online community activity beyond the Hub, and identifying
ways to link the Hub to new activity.
- Keeping abreast of new developments and helping to prioritize
feature development for PLoS Hubs.
- Developing Community Guidelines. Ensuring that Hubs information
pages are accurate and up to date.
- Developing and hosting opportunities for Hubs members to meet and
collaborate online and in the real world.
- Working with other PLoS staff as needed to navigate the occasional
troubled waters (ie, abuse mitigation).
Required skills and experience
- 5+ years experience managing and moderating online communities,
preferably where scientists are the primary user group.
- 3+ years experience working with a team developing web-based
communities or social software.
- A proactive and creative approach to problem solving, an interest
in scholarly publishing and/or scientific research.
- A college degree is required, a background in science is highly
- Superb communication skills.
- Broad knowledge of web2.0 technology and services.
- Has maintained a weblog or other online personal site.
- An understanding of web development and web functionality, to be
able to explain processes to user and understand bug reports.
- Sound judgment.
PLoS offers competitive salaries, a creative and casual work
environment as well as a full range of comprehensive benefits, including
medical; dental and vision; life, LTD and STD coverage and a matching
401k program. If interested, please send your resume and cover letter to
email@example.com and use the job title
"Community Manager" as the subject of your e-mail. No phone calls or
visits, please. Principals only - e-mail from recruiters will be
ignored. For more information about PLoS, visit http://www.plos.org/.