INTERNATIONAL “HERMES” FELLOWSHIP PROGRAMME - humanities and social sciences
INTERNATIONAL “HERMES” FELLOWSHIP PROGRAMME for conducting research in universities and research centres in France (post-doctoral programme)
Call for application 2010 - 2011
The Ministère des Affaires Etrangères (French Ministry of Foreign Affairs) The Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (National Center for Scientific Research) Foundation « Maison des Sciences de l’Homme » in Paris
- Asia: China, India, Indonesia and Malaysia
- Latin America: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Mexico and Peru
- South Africa
Description of the programme
The HERMES Programme aims at enabling young post-doctoral research scholars in humanities and social sciences from the above-mentioned countries to visit France for the purpose of conducting research there.
These 3 to 9-month long research grants have been designed to enable the invited researchers to:
· Conduct an individual research project in the host laboratory
· Integrate themselves within French and European scientific networks
· Establish sustainable cooperation between their institution of origin and their host institution.
The invited research scholars should select their host research centres in France (in universities or in other research institutes). The selection procedure is carried out in consultation with the Scientific Direction of the Foundation Maison des Sciences de l’Homme, Paris. The latter may help candidates to establish preliminary contacts, if needed.
The HERMES Programme is set up at the initiative of the French Ministry of Foreign Affairs, in association with the Foundation Maison des Sciences de l’Homme (FMSH) and the Department of Social Sciences and Humanities (Département Homme et Société) of the National Centre for Scientific Research (Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique, CNRS). The Foundation MSH is the scientific and administrative operator for the HERMES Programme.
The Maison des Sciences de l’Homme (Paris) (www.msh-paris.fr) brings together research scholars and centres from a number of public institutions (EHESS, CNRS, FNSP, universities) and from several disciplines, working in the world’s main cultural hubs, around collective work tools. It constitutes a national and international platform for scientific collaboration. Its initiatives are based on two main perspectives that are aimed at maintaining and constantly stimulating scientific dynamism – the interdisciplinarity and internationalisation of research.
Scientific fields covered by the HERMES Programme:
All disciplines of social sciences and humanities, with the priority being given to research projects on problems faced by the contemporary world. An interdisciplinary approach to the research problematic is encouraged.
Amount of fellowship:
The amount of the monthly allowance for covering boarding and lodging expenses is 2000 € (Euros); medical insurance charges are also covered. Additional aid may be granted to cover documentation expenses and participation in scientific activities. Travel expenses between the country of origin and France may be covered under certain conditions.
Conditions for candidature
· Candidates must hold a Ph.D. Degree (or equivalent qualification).
· They must belong to a research institution associated with universities, academies, or a research institute in their country.
· Applicants must hold a doctoral degree (or equivalent). The doctoral degree must have been obtained less than 8 years prior to the submission of application.
· Fluency in French and/or English is desirable. Candidates must have a good command over one of the host laboratory’s working languages.
Applications have to be submitted in the two following ways:
1) A partial application should be sent electronically (Application Form, CV, list of publications, scientific project) to firstname.lastname@example.org
2) A complete application (in 3 hard copies – paper version) has to be sent by regular mail. In order to obtain an application form, candidates should download one: (www.msh-paris.fr) The complete original applications have to be sent to the following postal address:
Fondation Maison des Sciences de l'Homme
Direction scientifique - Programme HERMES
Attn. : Neli Dobreva
54 Boulevard Raspail
F-75270 Paris cedex 06
The original applications must include:
1. An application form (to be downloaded)
2. A Curriculum Vitae
3. A list of publications
4. A detailed, paginated research programme, in French or in English (3-5 pages)
5. A photocopy of the candidate’s Ph.D. Degree
6. A 3 pages resume of PhD thesis
7. Letters of recommendation from scientific personalities and officials from research institutions in the candidate’s country of origin and, if possible, from French or European scientific personalities
8. A letter from the director of the research institution or laboratory in France with a commitment to host and guide the concerned candidate during his/her stay.
DEADLINES for submission of applications: March 31, 2010 & September 30, 2010