Welcome to the User Agreement for the World Association of Young Scientists (WAYS). This agreement describes the terms on which you may access and utilize the information posted on our website. In order to become a WAYS user, you must read and accept all of the terms and conditions of this agreement. Nothing in this Agreement shall be deemed to confer rights or benefits to third-parties. If you do not agree to the terms of this Agreement, you will relinquish website access.
Description of WAYS and Organization
The World Association of Young Scientists, WAYS, is a network of individuals and associations that share the view that promoting, extending and sharing scientific method and knowledge will bring a brighter future to mankind. WAYS should develop services and tools to help its members to:
1. promote excellence and creativity in science;
2. encourage interdisciplinary approaches;
3. help scientists, and especially young scientists, in their career;
4. improve international scientific co-operation;
5. promote ethnic, cultural and gender equality and diversity amongst scientists;
6. encourage global, ethical and social awareness among scientists;
7. promote evidence-based decision-making on national and international levels;
8. promote education in science;
9. increase the understanding of science by the general public;
10. facilitate the sharing of scientific knowledge to reduce the gap between developed and less developed countries;
11. and any other goals that are consistent with the Declaration on Science and the Use of Scientific Knowledge (Budapest, 99).
WAYS shall not pursue any party-political, ideological, or religious activities, and is independent of all political parties or religious movements. WAYS shall not encourage nor facilitate any activities that are in conflict with the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. Its goals and activities are non-lucrative and WAYS strives to achieve its goals within a socially, politically and ethically correct framework. WAYS is open to any individual or association that agrees with the above.
WAYS membership is not limited to any age group, though the main target group of WAYS activities are young scientists, defined as being sufficiently old (generally above 15) to have a genuine interest in becoming a scientist, and not older than ten years after their PhD defense (whenever this may be). Users may not have more than one active account. Website access for interactions with WAYS will not be provided to any users suspended or removed from the system by WAYS for any reason. Additionally, users are prohibited from selling, trading, or otherwise transferring your WAYS account to another party.
You agree that the WAYS may, with or without cause, immediately terminate your WAYS account and access to the WAYS website without prior notice. Without limiting the previously indicated information, the following will lead to a termination by the WAYS (executive board) of a user’s use of the WAYS website: (a) breaches or violations of this User Agreement or other incorporated agreements or guidelines, (b) requests by law enforcement or other government agencies, (c) a request by you (self-initiated account deletions), and (d) unexpected technical issues or problems. Termination of your WAYS account includes removal of access to all offerings within the WAYS website and may also bar you from further use of the WAYS website. Furthermore, you agree that all terminations shall be made by WAYS' sole discretion and that WAYS shall not be liable to you nor any third-party for any termination of your account or access to the WAYS website.
You understand and agree not to use the WAYS website to:
* Post content or initiate communications which are unlawful, libelous, abusive, obscene, discriminatory, or otherwise objectionable.
* Use the WAYS website for any illegal purpose, including but not limited to conspiring to violate laws.
* Falsely state, impersonate, or otherwise misrepresent your identity, or misrepresenting your current or previous positions and qualifications, or your affiliations with a person or entity, past or present.
* Upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any content or initiate communications which include information that you do not have the right to disclose or make available under any law or under contractual or fiduciary relationships (such as insider information, or proprietary and confidential information learned or disclosed as part of employment relationships or under nondisclosure agreements).
* Upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any content or initiate communication that infringes upon patents, trademarks, trade secrets, copyrights or other proprietary rights.
* Upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising, promotional materials, “junk mail,” “spam,” “chain letters,” “pyramid schemes,” or any other form of solicitation. This prohibition includes but is not limited to a) Using WAYS to connect to people who don’t know you and then sending unsolicited promotional messages to those direct connections without their permission; and b) Sending messages to distribution lists, newsgroup aliases, or group aliases.
* Upload, post, email, transmit, or otherwise make available any material that contains software viruses or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment.
* Stalk or harass anyone.
* Forge headers or otherwise manipulate identifiers in order to disguise the origin of any communication transmitted through the WAYS website.
* Post content in fields that aren’t intended for that content. Example: Putting an address in a name or title field.
* Interfere with or disrupt the WAYS website or servers or networks connected to the WAYS website, or disobey any requirements, procedures, policies or regulations of networks connected to the WAYS website.
Recognizing the global nature of the Internet, you agree to comply with all applicable local rules including but not limited to rules regarding online conduct and acceptable content. Specifically, you agree to comply with all applicable laws regarding the transmission of technical data exported from the country in which you reside.
Information Provided on this Website
In the course of using the WAYS website, users may provide information about themselves which may be visible to certain other users. You understand that WAYS retains the right to reformat, excerpt, or translate any materials submitted by you. You understand that all information publicly posted or privately transmitted through the WAYS is the sole responsibility of the person from which such content originated and that WAYS will not be liable for any errors or omissions in any content. You understand that WAYS cannot guarantee the identity of any other users with whom you may interact in the course of using the WAYS website. Additionally, we cannot guarantee the authenticity of any data which users may provide about themselves or relationships they may describe.
Monitoring and Enforcement
While we have the right to monitor activity and content associated with the WAYS website, we are not obligated to do so. And since we do not, and may not have the ability to, control or actively monitor content we don’t guarantee its accuracy, integrity or quality. Because community standards vary and individuals sometimes choose not to comply with our policies and practices, in the process of using our website, you may be exposed to content that you find offensive or objectionable. We do not, in particular, guarantee the accuracy of scientific claims made on the WAYS website and affiliates, despite the scientific nature of the WAYS association. You can contact our support team to report content that you find objectionable. We may investigate the complaints and violations of our policies that come to our attention and may take any action that we believe is appropriate, including, but not limited to issuing warnings, removing the content or terminating accounts. However, because situations and interpretations vary, we also reserve the right not to take any action. Under no circumstances will we be liable in any way for any content, including, but not limited to, any errors or omissions in any content, or any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of, access to, or denial of access to any content on the website.
By accepting this User Agreement, you agree to indemnify and otherwise hold harmless WAYS, its officers, employees, agents, subsidiaries, affiliates and other partners from any direct, indirect, incidental, special, consequential or exemplary damages resulting from i) your use of the WAYS website; ii) unauthorized access to or alteration of your communications with or through the WAYS website, or iii) any other matter relating to the WAYS website. Any transactions or partnerships which may arise between users from their use of WAYS are the sole responsibility of the users involved.
Disclaimer of Warranties
YOU UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT THE WAYS WEBSITE IS PROVIDED ON AN “AS IS” AND “AS AVAILABLE” BASIS AND THAT WAYS DOES NOT ASSUME ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR PROMPT OR PROPER DELIVERY, OR RETENTION OF ANY USER INFORMATION OR COMMUNICATIONS BETWEEN USERS. WAYS ASSUMES NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE ACCURACY OR EXISTENCE OF ANY COMMUNICATIONS BETWEEN USERS. WAYS EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES OF ANY KIND, WHETHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE AND NON-INFRINGEMENT.
The User Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between you and WAYS and governs your use of the WAYS website, superseding any prior agreements between you and WAYS.
Limitation of Liability
YOU EXPRESSLY UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT WAYS SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, CONSEQUENTIAL OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF PROFITS, GOODWILL, USE, DATA OR OTHER INTANGIBLE LOSSES (EVEN IF WAYS HAS BEEN ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES). SOME JURISDICTIONS DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OF THE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION OF LIABILITY FOR INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES. ACCORDINGLY, SOME OF THE ABOVE LIMITATIONS MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. IN NO EVENT WILL WAYS TOTAL CUMULATIVE DAMAGES EXCEED US$ 100.
The User Agreement between you and WAYS website will be governed by and construed in accordance with the laws of Canada without regard to conflict of laws principles.
WAYS, the WAYS logo, and other WAYS logos and names are trademarks of WAYS. You agree not to display or use these trademarks in any manner without WAYS' prior, written permission. The section titles of this User Agreement are displayed for convenience only and have no legal effect.
WAYS reserves the right to amend any of the terms of this Agreement at its sole discretion by posting the revised terms. Your continued use of the WAYS website after the effective date of any such amendment shall be deemed your agreement to be bound by such amendment.