- There are no activities to show.
User WAYS points
- WAYS Points
- Academic Level
- Department Chair
- Working Sector
- Research Institute
- Highest Degree
- Ph. D.
- Life Sciences: Biochemistry
- Reseach Topic
- Natural products and cardiovascular dieseases
1. Ulrich LF Domekouo, Frida Longo, Protus A Tarkang, Alembert T Tchinda, Nole Tsabang, Nehemie T Donfagsiteli, Victorine Tamze, Pierre Kamtchouing, Gabriel A Agbor. Evaluation of the antidiabetic and antioxidant properties of Morinda lucida stem bark extract in streptozotocin intoxicated rats. Pak. J. Pharm. Sci., 29 (3) : 903-911
2. Jean Pierre ABDOU, Lucie Josiane OJONG, Iqbal Choudhary Muhammad, Armelle Deutou Tchamgoue, Antoine Kavaye Kandeda, Abel Joel Yaya Gbaweng, Gabriel Agbor Agbor, Roger Moyou Somo, Elisabth NGO BUM. Biological Activity and Toxicity of Decoction of Mormodica cissoides L. Leaves. Asian J Ethnopharmacol and Med Foods, 2 (2): 01-10. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.15272/ajemf.v2016i03
3. Tchamgoue AD, Tchokouaha LRY, Tarkang PA, Kuiate J-R, Agbor GA Costus afer Possesses Carbohydrate Hydrolyzing Enzymes Inhibitory Activity and Antioxidant Capacity In Vitro. Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, 2015, Article ID 987984, 10 pages http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2015/987984
4. Tarkang PA, Okalebo FA, Siminyu JD, Ngugi WN, Mwaura Amos M, Mugweru J, Agbor GA, Guantai AN. Pharmacological evidence for the folk use of Nefang: antipyretic, anti-inflammatory, and antinociceptive activities of its constituent plants BMC Complementary and Alternative Medicine (2015) 15:174. DOI 10.1186/s12906-015-0703-7
5. Tsabang N, Kadjob S, Mballa RN, Yedjou CG, Nnanga N, Donfagsiteli NT, Tchinda AT., Agbor GA, Ntsama C, Tchounwou PB. New Approach for the Development of Improved Traditional Medicine: Case of a Preparation of an Oral Hypoglycemic Medicine from Laportea ovalifolia (Schumach. & Thonn.) Chew. (Urticaceae). J Mol Pharm Org Process Res., 2015; 3: 125. doi:10.4172/2329-9053.1000125.
6. Tsabang N, Yedjou CG, Tsambang LWD, Tchinda AT, Donfagsiteli N, Agbor GA, Tchounwou PBB, Nkongmeneck BA. Treatment of Diabetes and/or Hypertension Using Medicinal Plants in Cameroon. Med Aromat Plants, 2015; S2: 003. doi:10.4172/2167-0412.S2-003
7. Tchamgoue AD, Tchokouaha LRY, Tarkang PA, Vinson JA, Agbor GA. Comparative radical scavenging properties of five spices commonly consume in Cameroon. World J. Pharmaceut. Res., 2015; 4 (2): 1610-1622.
8. Tchokouaha LRY, Tchamgoue AD, Okwu MA, Odogwu O, Funmilola D, Obiechefu I, Ozobeme I, Nwayor P, Agbor GA: Comparative antioxidant capacity of the spices of some traditional soups in Nigeria. Sch. Acad. J. Biosci., 2015; 3 (1B):79-84.
9. Fogha VJ, Tchamgoue AD, Domekouo ULF, Tarkang PA, Agbor GA. Morinda lucida Stem Bark Protects Paracetamol Induced Liver Damage. Int. J. Pharm. Sci. Rev. Res., 2015; 31 (1): 198-204.
10. Tarkang PA, Agbor GA, Ayong LS, Okalebo FA, Guantai AN. Cytotoxicity and in vivo toxicological screening of a polyherbal product, nefang. World J. Pharmaceut. Res., 2015
Volume 4, Issue 4, 82-101.
11. Agbor GA, Kotué TC, Mouotsouo JP, Nanfack P, Nkam M, Ngogang YJ: “Hémodya”: A phytomedecine for sickle cell disease management in Cameroon. World J Pharmaceut Res, 2015; 4 (1): 102-112.
12. Agbor GA, Vinson JA and Donnelly PE. Folin-Ciocalteau reagent for polyphenolic assay. Inter J Food Sci Nutr Diet, 2014, 3: 147-156.
13. Tarkang PA, Okalebo FA, Ayong LS, Agbor GA, Guantai AN. Anti-malarial activity of a polyherbal product (Nefang) during early and established Plasmodium infection in rodent models. Malaria Journal 2014, 13:456 doi: 10.1186/1475-2875-13-456
14. Tchinda AT, Agbor GA, Tsala DE, Yaya AJG, Nga EN, Talla E, Wauters J-N,Frédérich M. Antioxidant activity of flavonoids isolated from the fruits of Xylopia parviflora (A. Rich.) Benth. Inter J Pharmaceut Sci Drug Res 2014; 6: 323-328
15. Tarkang PA, Franzoi KD, Lee S, Lee E, Vivarelli D, Freitas-Junior L, Liuzzi M, Tsabang N, Ayong LS, Agbor GA, Okalebo FA and Guantai AN. In vitro antiplasmodial activities and synergistic combinations of differential solvent extracts of the polyherbal product, Nefang. BioMed Research International 2014, dx.doi.org/10.1155/2014/835013
16. Agbor GA, Longo F, Makong EA, Tarkang PA. Evaluation of the antidiarrheal and antioxidant properties of Justicia hypocrateriformis. Pharm Biol. 2014 52:1128-1133.
17. Tarkang PA, Atchan APN, Kuiate J-R, Okalebo FA, Guantai AN, Agbor GA. Antioxidant potential of a polyherbal antimalarial as an indicator of its therapeutic value. Advances in Pharmacological Sciences, 2013, http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2013/678458
18. Donfagsiteli NT, Messi MH, Fotso CJ, Nzweundji G, Oumar D, Dongmo B, Sanonne, Agbor GA and Ndoumou DO. Biochemical aspects of single-node cuttings of Ricinodendron heudelotii (Baill.) in relation with rooting. Afri J Biotechnol, 2013, 12: 1049-1056.
19. Tan PV, Mezui C, Enow-Orock GE, and Agbor GA. Antioxidant capacity, cytoprotection, and healing actions of the leaf aqueous extract of Ocimum suave in rats subjected to chronic and cold-restraint stress ulcers. Ulcers, 2013, Article ID 150780,
20. Tarkang PA, Agbor GA, Tchamgoue DA, Yamthe TLR, Kemeta D, Ngadena YS. Acute and sub-chronic toxicity studies of the aqueous and ethanol leaf extracts of Citrus sinensis (Linnaeus) Osbeck (pro sp.) in Wistar rats. Der Pharmacia Lettre, 2012, 4:1619-1629
21. Tsabang N, Guedje NM, Nnanga N, Tamze V, Biyiti L, Agbor T, Agbor GA, Donfagsiteli N, Kinga J and Essame OJL. Production des médicaments traditionels ameliorés au Cameroun: Cas D’un hypoglycemiant oral. Health Sci Dis 2012, 12: 76-81
22. Tarkang PA, Agbor GA., Tchamgoue DA, Tchokouaha, Yamthe L, Kemeta D and Ngadena YSM. Acute and chronic toxicity studies of the aqueous and ethanol leaf extracts of Carica papaya Linn in Wistar rats. J. Nat. Prod. Plant Resour., 2012, 2: 617-627
23. Tarkang PA, Agbor GA, Tsabang N, Yamthe LRY, Tchamgoue DA, Kemeta D, Mengue YSN, Mba JR and Weyepe F. Effect of long-term oral administration of the aqueous and ethanol leaf extracts of Cymbopogon citratus. Annals of Biological Research, 2012, 3: 5561-5570
24. Agbor GA, Tarkang PA, Fogha JVZ, Biyiti LF, Tamze V, Messi HM, Tsabang N, Longo F, Tchinda AT, Dongmo B, Donfagsiteli NT, Ngo JM, Kinga J, Ngide RA and Simo D. Acute and sub-acute toxicity of aqueous extract of M lucida stem bark. J Pharmacol Toxicol. 2012; 7: 158-165.
25. Agbor GA, Akinfiresoye L, Sortino J, Johnson R and Vinson JA. Piper species protect cardiac, hepatic and renal antioxidant status of atherogenic diet fed hamsters. Food Chem, 2012, 134: 1354–1359
26. Agbor GA, Vinson JA, Sortino J and Johnson R. Antioxidant and anti-atherogenic activities of three Piper species on atherogenic diet fed hamsters. Experiment Toxicol Pathol 2012, 64: 387– 391
27. Biyiti LF, Tamze V, Nnanga Nga, Agbor G, Gangoue-Pieboji J. Formulation d’une pommade antibactérienne à base d’un extrait éthanolique des écorces du tronc de Tabernaemontana crassa Benth Pharmacopée et médecine traditionnelle africaine Vol. 16 (2012)
28. Agbor GA, Taga I, Nguinde DR, Zaidi MAZ, Lehman G, Altosaar I and Ngogang JY. Effect of iodine supplementation on antioxidant status of normal and alloxan monohydrate intoxicated rats. Inter J Pharmacol. 2011, 7: 726 – 731
29. Agbor GA, Moumbegna P, Oluwasola EO, Nwosu LU, Njoku R-CC, Kanu S, Emekabasi EI, Akin F, Obasi AP and Abudei FA. Antioxidant capacity of some plant foods and beverages consumed in the Eastern Region of Nigeria. Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med. 2011, 8: 362-369.
30. Aloho-Bekong D, Agbor GA, Nkengazong L, Ngoudjou TRM, Asonganyi T. Oxidative stress in School Children co-infected with Schistosoma mansoni and soil-transmitted helminthes. Health Sci. Dis: 2011, 12: 109-125
31. Agbor GA, Vinson JA, Oben JE and Ngogang JY. Antioxidant effect of herbs and spices on copper mediated oxidation of lower and very low density lipoprotein, Chinese Journal of Natural Medicines 2010, 8: 114-120
32. Oben JE, Ngondi JL, Agbor GA and Enonchong E. The effects of feeding triacylglycerols on milk fat composition, lipogenesis and polymer-protomer transition of acetyl-coa carboxylase in rat mammary gland. Afric J Food, Agric, Nutr Develop. 2009, 9: 1060-1075.
33. Taga I, Agbor GA, Djountsop S, Moshin ZA, Soh Oumbe VA, Altosaar I and Ngogang JY. Iodine deficiency in children 7–19 years old in Eastern Province of Cameroon, Trop Med and Int Health. 2009, 14: 311–315.
34. Agbor GA. Antioxidant regulation of atherosclerosis: A nutritional stands point Nutritional Antioxidants in Cancer and Degenerative Diseases, 2009: 25-61, Editor: E. Olatunde Farombi, Transworld Research Network 37/661 (2), Fort P.O. Trivandrum-695 023, Kerala, India. SinPost Publisher.
35. Oben JE, Enyegue DM, Ngondi JL, Fomekong GID and Agbor GA. Oxidative Stress And Blood Lipid Profile In Cameroonian Obese Subjects, Sunway Academic Journal 2008, 5: 149-154.
36. Enyegue DM, Ngondi JL, Fomekong GID, Agbor GA and Oben JE. Prediction and prevalence of metabolic syndrome in overweight and obese subjects in Cameroon. Inter J Biomed Pharmaceut Sci. 2 (2).
37. Enyegue DM, Agbor GA, Fomekong GID, Ngondi JL and Oben JE Antioxidant capacity of some red wines sold in Cameroon, Pharmacologyonline 2008, 2: 769-775.
38. Oben JE, Ngondi JL, Momo CN, Agbor GA, Sobgui CSM. The use of a Cissus quadrangularis/Irvingia gabonensis combination in the management of weight loss: a double-blind placebo-controlled study. Lipids in Health and Dis. 2008, 7:12 doi:10.1186/1476-511X-7-12.
39. Agbor GA, Vinson JA, Oben JE, Ngogang JY. In vitro antioxidant activity of three Piper species. Journal of Herbal and Pharmacotherapy. 2007, 7: 49-64.
40. Agbor GA, Vinson JA, Shachi Patel, Kunal Patel, Jenyne Scarpati, Drew Shiner, Forbes Wardrop, Thomas A. Tompkins: Effect of Selenium and Glutathione Enriched Yeast Supplementation on a Combined Atherosclerosis and Diabetes Hamster Model. J Agric. Food Chem. 2007, 55: 8731-8736.
41. Vinson JA, Tompkins TA. Agbor GA: Comparative Bioavailability of Mineral Enriched Gluconates and Yeast in Rat Liver Following Depletion-Repletion Feeding, Biological Trace Element Research 2007, 118: 104-110.
42. Biapa P-CN, Agbor GA, Oben JE, Ngogang JY: Phytochemical Studies and Antioxidant Properties of Four Medicinal Plants used in Cameroon. Afr. J. Trad. CAM. 2007, 4: 495-500.
43. Dakam W, Shang J, Agbor GA, Oben J. Effects of sodium bicarbonate and albumin on the in vitro water-holding capacity and some physiological properties of Trigonella foenum graecum L. galactomannan in rats, J Med Food. 2007, 10:169-74.
44. Agbor GA, Kuate D, Oben EJ. Medicinal plants can be good source of antioxidant: Case study of Cameroon, Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences, 2007: 537-544.
45. Oben JE, Enyegue DM, Fomekong GI, Soukontoua YB, Agbor GA. The effect of Cissus quadrangularis (CQR-300) and a Cissus formulation (CORE) on obesity and obesity-induced oxidative stress Lipids in Health and Disease, 2007, 6 :4 doi:10.1186/1476-511X-6-4.
46. Oben JE, Kuate D, Agbor GA, Momo C, Talla X. The use of a Cissus quadrangularis formulation in the management of weight loss and metabolic syndrome Lipids in Health and Disease 2006, 5: 24 doi:10.1186/1476-511X-5-24.
47. Agbor GA, Vinson JA, Oben JE., Ngogang JY. Comparative analysis of the in vitro antioxidant activity of white and black pepper. Nutrition Research 2006, 26: 659-663.
48. Vinson JA, John Proch, Pratima Bose, Sean Muchler, Pamela Taffera, Donna Shuta, Najwa Samman, Agbor GA: Chocolate is a powerful ex vivo and in vivo antioxidant, an antiatherosclerotic agent in an animal model, and a significant contributor to antioxidants in the European and American Diets J. Agric. Food Chem., 2006, 54: 8071 -8076.
49. Oben JE, Assi SE, Agbor GA, Musoro DF. Effect of Eremomastax speciosa on experimental diarrhea. Afr. J. Trad. CAM. 2006, 3: 95-100.
50. Agbor GA and Ngogang Y Jeanne: Toxicity study of herbal preparations. Cameroon Journal of Ethnobotany 2005, 1: 23-28.
51. Agbor GA, Julius E Oben, Jeanne Y Ngogang, Cai Xinxing, Joe A Vinson. Antioxidant Capacity of Some Herbs/spices from Cameroon. A Comparative study of two Methods. J. Agr. Food Chem. 2005, 53: 6819-6824.
52. Agbor GA, Julius E. Oben, Nkegoum Blaise, Takala Jean Pierre and Jeanne Y. Ngogang. Hapatoprotective activity of Hibiscus cannabinus (Linn.) Leaf extract against carbon tetrachloride induced toxicity. Pak J Biol Sc 2005, 8: 1397-1401.
53. Agbor GA, Odetola AA. Effect of Parquetina nigrescens on erythrocyte indices and serum electrolytes of rats following acute blood loss. Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences 2005, 8: 527-531.
54. Agbor GA, Oben E Julius, Ngogang Y Jeanne. Haematinic activity of Hibiscus cannabinus. Afr J Biotechnol 2005, 4: 833-837.
55. Danwe C, Atchou G, Nkam M, Mbuagbaw J, Mougnoutou R, Nkouanfack C, Mbanya D, Agbor GA, Lohoue J, Ngogang YJ. Effect of antiretroviral therapy on lipid metabolism in HIV/AIDS subjects in Cameroon. J M Sc. 2005, 5: 78-82.
56. Agbor GA, Talla L and Ngogang JY. The Antidiarrhoeal activity of Alchornea cordifolia leaf extract: Phytother Res 2004, 18: 873-876.
57. Agbor GA, Julius E Oben, Brahim, BO and Ngogang JY. Toxicity Study of Hibiscus cannabinus. Journal of the Cameroon Academy of Science 2004, 4: 27-32.
58. Agbor, GA, Julius E. Oben, and Jeanne Y. Ngogang (2003): Antioxidative activity of Hibiscus cannabinus (Linn.) Food-Africa International Working Meeting, proceeding
59. Agbor GA and Odetola A. A. Haematological studies of Parquetina nigrescens on haemorrhagic anaemic rats. Afr J Med Med Sc 2001, 30: 105-109.
60. Agbor GA, Kola M Anigo, Julius E Oben, and Ngogang JY. Trace metal content of some food colourants, Cameroon Bioscience Proceeding 2001, 8: 186-190.
61. Agbor GA, Enongene, NG, Odunuga O, Julius E Oben, and Ngogang JY. Antioxidant status and extend of lipid peroxidation in malaria patients. Cameroon Bioscience Proceeding 2001, 8: 178-185.
- Prizes / Awards
• November 15th 2015: Best Senior Research Scientist Award, IMPM, Ministry of Scientific Research and Innovation, Yaoundé Cameroon.
• October 28th 2011: African Network for Drugs Diagnostics and Innovation (ANDI) Centre of Excellence in Traditional Medicine Research.
• October 1st 2007: Fulbright Research Scholar, University of Scranton. Sponsored by the US Department of State, through the Fulbright program.
• October 13th 2006: Certificate of Excellence Award, Ministry of Scientific Research and Innovation, Yaoundé Cameroon.
• October 2004: Visiting Research Scientist, Department of Chemistry, University of Scranton Sponsored by the USA Department of State, through the Fulbright Program.
• December 2000: Conference award (Best presenter award), 8th Annual conference of the Cameroon Biosciences Society, Ngaoundere, Cameroon.
- Research Tags
- Atherosclerosis, diabetes, obesity, malaria, diarrhea, antioxidant, natural products.
GABRIEL A. AGBOR, BSc, MSc, DS, PhD
Head of Centre for Research on Medicinal Plants and Traditional Medicine
Institute of Medical Research and Medicinal Plants Studies,
P.O. Box 6163, Yaoundé Cameroon.
Telephone 237 7722 3674; email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Gabriel A. Agbor is a bilingual Cameroonian, fluent in both English and French. He holds a Doctor of Philosophy Degree in Biochemistry (University of Yaoundé I) and a Post-doctoral training at the University of Scranton, USA. He defended a Master of Science Degree in Biochemistry in 1999 at the University of Ibadan, Nigeria in 1998 and a, Bachelors of Science Degree in Biochemistry at the Ahmadu Bello University Zaria Nigeria. Presently Gabriel is an Associate Professor of Research and Heads the Centre for Research on Medicinal Plants and Traditional Medicine. The Centre has a long tradition in the valorization of the Cameroonian Traditional Pharmacopoeia and also acts as an internship ground for students in the Pharmacy, Medicine and Science Departments of state and private universities. Gabriel serves as a regional contact point for the African Network for Drugs and Diagnostic Innovation (ANDI) Centre of Excellence on Traditional Medicine Research, a WHO / TDR initiative. He is a resource person for the National Committee of Technology Development (CNDT) and Cameroon Biosecurity Committee (CNB MINEPDED). Besides his science pursuits Gabriel serves as part-time lecturer in some state and private universities in Cameroon and as an adjunct Professor at the Madonna University Elele, Nigeria. Gabriel’s research interest is on complementary and alternative medicine studying: The modulatory effect of medicinal plants against drug, chemical and industrial toxicity and setting up animal models for these; safety profiling of medicinal plants and their efficacy against some common ailment plaguing Cameroon with particular interest in cardiovascular diseases and malaria. Gabriel has authored over 70 scientific publications in peer review scientific journals. Gabriel was the laureate of the Ministry of Scientific Research and Innovation Certificate of Excellence Award in 2006 and 2015, Fulbright Senior Scholar in 2007.
General and Contact Information
- First Name
- Last Name
- Date of Birth
- Country of Origin
- Country of Residence
- English and French
- Member for
- 50 weeks 3 days
- View recent blog entries