- There are no activities to show.
User WAYS points
- WAYS Points
- Academic Level
- Research Program Director
- Working Sector
- Research Institute
- Highest Degree
- Ph. D.
- Life Sciences: Agric. Sciences
His published titles include:
1. “Strawberry: Transgenics for stresses”. LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing GmbH & Co. KG, Germany ISBN: 978-3-8433-6280-1 [Pages-247]
2. “Saffron” (ISBN: 978-4-903313-67-2; ISSN: 1749-0472). [Pages-135]
( http://www.globalsciencebooks.info/JournalsSup/10FPSB_4_SI2.html )
3. “Medicinal Plants of the Himalayas: Advances and Insights” (ISBN: 978-4-903313-65-8; ISSN: 1752-3389).
4. “Genomics, Transgenics, Molecular Breeding and Biotechnology of Strawberry” Husaini AM and Mercado JA (Eds.), (ISBN: 978-4-903313-81-8; ISSN: 1749-0383).
and more than three dozen research/review papers journals of repute, discussing different aspects of agricultural research and technology.
His significant research publications include:
1. Husaini AM, Abdin MZ, Khan S, Xu YW, Aquil S, Anis M (2012) Modifying strawberry for better adaptability to adverse impact of climate change. Current Science 102: (Accepted)
2. Husaini AM, Rafiqi AM (2011) Role of osmotin in strawberry improvement. Plant Molecular Biology Reporter (Published online 1st) DOI: 10.1007/s11105-011-0394-2 www.springerlink.com/index/726630116661117U.pdf
3. Husaini AM, Rashid Z, Mir RR, Aquil B (2011) Approaches for gene targeting and targeted gene expression in plants. GM Crops 2: 150-162 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22179193
4. Husaini AM, Mercado JA, Schaart JG, Teixeira da Silva JA (2011) Review of Factors Affecting Organogenesis, Somatic Embryogenesis and Agrobacterium tumefaciens-Mediated Transformation of Strawberry. In: Husaini AM and Mercado JA (Eds) Genomics, Transgenics, Molecular Breeding and Biotechnology of Strawberry. Genes Genomes and Genomics 5 (Special Issue1), 1-11
5. Sanghera GS, Husaini AM, Parray GA, Rather AG, Shikari AB, Wani SA (2010) Generation of cold tolerant CMS lines of rice and identification of maintainers/restorers for hybrid rice development in Kashmir. Indian Journal of Crop Sciences 5: 143-146
6. Husaini AM, Abdin MZ, Parray GA, Sanghera GS, Murtaza I, Alam T, Srivastava DK, Farooqi H, Khan HN (2010) Vehicles and ways for efficient nuclear transformation in plants. GM Crops 1:1-12 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21844685
7. Husaini AM, Hassan B, Ghani MY, Teixeira da Silva JA, Kirmani NA (2010) Saffron (Crocus sativus Kashmirianus) cultivation in Kashmir: Practices and problems. In: Husaini AM (Ed) Saffron. Functional Plant Science and Biotechnology 4 (Special Issue 2), 108-115
8. Husaini AM, Kamili AN, Wani MH, Teixeira da Silva JA, Bhat GN (2010) Sustainable Saffron (Crocus sativus Kashmirianus) Production: Technological and Policy Interventions for Kashmir. In: Husaini AM (Ed) Saffron. Functional Plant Science and Biotechnology 4 (Special Issue 2), 116-127
9. Husaini AM (2010) Pre- and Post-Agroinfection strategies for efficient leaf disc transformation and regeneration of transgenic strawberry plants. Plant Cell Reports 29:97-110 DOI 10.1007/s00299-009-0801-4 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19956955
10. Sanghera GS, Husaini AM, Rather AG, Parray GA, Shikari AB (2010) SKAU 7A and SKAU 11A: New cold tolerant CMS lines from Kashmir, India. International Rice Research Notes 1-3 beta.irri.org/publications/images/stories/irrn/.../GenRes_IRRN2010-001.pdf
11. Aquil S, Husaini AM, Abdin MZ, Rather GM (2009) Overexpression of HMG-CoA reductase gene leads to enhanced artemisinin biosynthesis in transgenic Artemisia annua L. plants. Planta Medica 75: 1-6 DOI 10.1055/s-0029-1185775 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19551613
12. Husaini AM and Abdin MZ (2008) Development of transgenic strawberry (Fragaria x ananassa Duch.) plants tolerant to salt stress. Plant Science 174: 446-455 doi:10.1016/j.plantsci.2008.01.007 http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0168945208000083
13. Husaini AM and Abdin MZ (2008) Overexpression of tobacco osmotin gene leads to salt stress tolerance in strawberry (Fragaria x ananassa Duch.) plants. Indian J. of Biotechnology 7: 465-472 http://www.niscair.res.in/sciencecommunication/researchjournals/rejour/i...
14. Husaini AM and Abdin MZ (2007) Interactive effect of light, temperature and TDZ on the regeneration potential of leaf discs of Fragaria x ananassa Duch. In vitro Cellular and Developmental Biology-Plant 43:576-584 DOI 10.1007/s11627-007-9048-3 www.springerlink.com/index/v8572j98218278u5.pdf
- Prizes / Awards
• Recipient of Young Scientist Award in Agriculture 2009 of J&K State Council for Science & Technology, Government of Jammu & Kashmir, India, on 2nd December 2010. Presented at the inaugural function of 6th J&K Science Congress by Shri Aga Syed Ruhullah Mehdi, Hon’ble Minister of Science & Technology and Shri Abdul Ghani Mallik, Hon’ble Minister of Higher Education, Government of Jammu & Kashmir.
• Recipient of the prestigious Jawahar Lal Nehru Award 2008 conferred upon by Indian Council of Agricultural Research (ICAR), New Delhi on 16th July 2009.
• Biography included in 27th edition of the prestigious Marquis Who’s Who In The World, which profiles the most accomplished men and women in the world for 2010.
• Selected for the Award of Biotechnology Fellowship 2008-09 of J&K State Council for Science & Technology, Jammu & Kashmir, India.
• Recipient of JUNIOR SCIENTIST OF THE YEAR 2007 AWARD conferred upon by National Environmental Science Academy (NESA), New Delhi on 27th Dec 2007.
• Recipient of ‘Joint CSIR-UGC Research Fellowship’ for Doctoral Research (2003-2007).
• Recipient of ‘Scholarship’ for the ‘Research Project’ during MSc. Biotechnology Program from ASPEE Agricultural Research and Development Foundation, Mumbai (2000-2002).
• Gold and silver medals in debates, seminars and declamation contests organized at college, university and state levels. [Second position in declamation contest organized by Environment Sports and Cultural Club, Dr.Y S Parmar University of Horticulture and Forestry, Solan HP (2002); First Prize in Debate titled “Social Service and Dignity of Labor” held by Regional Research Station and Faculty of Agriculture, J&K (1998); Second Position in the Seminar titled “Organo-phosphorus Poisoning and its Management” held by Govt. of J&K (1996)].
- Research Tags
- Transgenic plants, Cloning, Stress, Rice, Strawberry, Cisgenics, Breeding
Along with his fellow colleagues Dr. Amjad Masood Husaini at Mountain Research Centre for Field Crops (erstwhile Rice Research & Regional Station), SKUAST of Kashmir has been working industriously in research, development and popularization of high yielding rice varieties suitable for Kashmir zone. Though his field of specialization is Biotechnology, yet he has contributed significantly in research and development of two cold tolerant temperate cms (cytoplasmic male sterile) lines SKAU-7A & SKAU-11A, and two blast resistant high yielding cold tolerant rice varieties Shalimar Rice 2 (SKAU-341) & Shalimar Rice 3 (SKAU-382). He has characterized more than 500 rice germplasm accessions and maintained these in the germplasm bank at MRCFC, Khudwani. Besides he has significantly contributed in the initiation and conduct of programmes for quality rice development, purification of indigenous scented landraces like ‘Mushk budgi’ & ‘Kamad’, evaluation of local red rice types ‘Zag’, popularization of basmati introductions like Pusa Sugandh-3, and research and development of early maturing basmati type rice suitable for cultivation in Kashmir valley. He is involved in hybrid rice development (between indica and japonica types), and in generation, evaluation of elite breeding material with cold tolerance, blast resistance, early maturity and improved yield through extensive inter-varietal crossing. He is also involved in the field testing of rice trials constituted at National level by Directorate of Rice Research, Hyderabad under AICRIP (All India Coordinated Rice Improvement Project), and observational nurseries supplied by International Rice Research Institute, Phillipines (IRRI) under INGER (International Network for Genetic Evaluation of Rice) programme.
General and Contact Information
- First Name
- Last Name
- Date of Birth
- Country of Origin
- Country of Residence
- "ENGLISH, HINDI, URDU, KASHMIRI"
- Member for
- 6 years 44 weeks
- View recent blog entries